Decisions, decisions

While I'm waiting for the 16th to come and find out if I am indeed a candidate for the Cochlear Implant. I thought I'd just share some of what I'm doing and thinking.

All three Cochlear Implant companies have sent me their packages that share information and let's face it, promote their product. I'm not complaining though. I now how business works so I expected them to kind of draw me toward choosing their products.

Right now I'm debating between Advanced Bionics and Nucleus Freedom. Both seem to have good features. It's a tough choice to make and it's an important one. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a product I'm not happy with down the line.

I'm also thinking about what ear I want to get the implant in. I know I'll discuss this with the doctors but I'm already thinking about that decision. From reading around and talking to others who have the implant. There are a lot of factors to consider here. In my case I have no hearing in my right ear and very little in my left. This means that if I get the implant in my right ear then I really don't have anything to loose. But if I get it in my left ear they say there's a possibility that what improvements the implant can provide may be better because there is already some hearing in that ear. Not much but I can hear loud and low pitched sounds. So it's yet another tough decision.

It's still kind of funny to me that my curiosity of sound has awaken again. For years I didn't think about what things sound like because I knew that even if someone attempted to describe it to me. I still couldn't experience it. But now that there's a possibility that I might be able to hear again I'm thinking about that a lot. I just hope I'll get the good news I hope for in 4 days.
0 Responses

Post a Comment